Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Do Not Look Back

I had the pleasure of visiting Haida Gwaii last week. For anyone who enjoys walking under the shade of a tall tree there will be few more remarkable destinations. The photo below shows how a Haida mortuary pole that would have stood for more than a century is now wrapped by a more recent spruce.
At Kuna

The Haida were pushed to the brink of cultural oblivion by government policies that criminalized their unique language and culture. Fortunately, those last 500 Haida must have been exceptionally resilient individuals.
Along the trail to the Golden Spruce -- I am nature and a lesson of the Haida Culture. Look after each other and be generous. Never take more than you need. Enjoy, share and respect the lands and waters that sustain you. Everything I have has a purpose. Look after me, and I in turn will look after you. Do not look back, there is much more to see, feel and love.

No comments: